Monday, December 8, 2008

article on racism

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-34750165_ITM This article that I found was mostly about racism as a whole and not directly in the workforce, but I felt that it was still relevant to my bog topic in the sense that it proves my point that racism still exists in this day and age. And if racism still exists in society today it must be present in the modern workforce. This article went into the defitions of racism and why it still exists today. Some scientists believe that racism and racial prejeduce are an evolutionary by-product of early human survival strategies to decipher from friend or foe. It was through the process of natural selection that the human brain was programmed to rely on physical markers to assess the threat potential of competing tribes and clans. In prehistoric tribal societies, interpersonal interactions among tribal groups were also noted to be potentially dangerous in terms of disease transmission. I was unaware of these facts before I read this article but after hearing them I found them to quite obvious. It makes sense that racism stemed from being afraid and cautious of other tribes and clans. A major part of it is that people instinctively are always afraid of what is different.

No comments: